Ten years later

I rediscovered the fact that I even had a blog thanks to the online course I'm taking on Social Media for Education. I had completely forgotten about this. It's kind of like discovering an old journal tucked in the back of a closet. It seems appropriate to continue using this blog rather than starting a new one because the purpose of the original blog had been to work through some of the challenges when I first started teaching, as an English teacher in French elementary school in 2005.

My mission now, in 2017, is to continue improving my teaching but from a much more established place than ten years ago. I've been teaching French and Spanish in the same district for almost ten years. It's been challenging of course, but ultimately rewarding and I can't imagine doing anything else. Well, that's not completely true. I can imagine doing a lot of other things, but for the moment I'm established and committed to working towards helping students learn how to learn foreign languages.

I'm in the process of rethinking and redesigning how I teach and assess my students, moving towards proficiency, performance-based assessment and authentic resources. I'll use this blog to document some of the work and thinking that goes into this process. To add to the challenge, I'll be teaching Spanish next year after a two-year French exclusive break, and I'll need to update the entire curriculum. My French curriculum has gone mostly proficiency-based, but my Spanish materials predate my language learning awakening, so it will need to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Authentic resources and proficiency, here we come!

Comments

Unknown said…
You remembered a blog you forgot! How great is that? I have never blogged before, mine is a little dull and boring but I am sure over time it will get better! I think its great that you teach different languages. When I was younger I dreaded taking a language. Learning new things can be frightening, especially when you may not have a teacher who is as invested in what their teaching as you are!
Jess said…
This is great! I started to think about how ten years ago, many of my friends had LiveJournals or MySpaces, which were essentially the foundation sites for blogs. Now those sites aren't as popular anymore, and I am always fascinated by just how quickly technology evolves and transforms. I liked your comment about your "language awakening"- I am a completely different teacher than I was five years ago, and I have had to reformat and revise so many assignments that I used in the past to better reflect my students' understanding and proficiency. Revamping your Spanish curriculum sounds like a fun undertaking - good luck!
Anonymous said…
Your blog was very enjoyable. Particularly witnessing the growth of ten years was amazing! I found myself wanting to know more about the in-between years...so you created a space that allows us, the readers, to imagine all your travels about Europe and your return home. To imagine what you would have written about the seismic shift from teaching your native tongue in Europe to teaching those European languages here. Finding that blog was definitely a bonus!
Mr. McKenna said…
I had the same experience rediscovering a blog, it is fascinating to go back and see my ideas from years ago (though nothing like 10 years ago! I can only imagine what I would find then.) I likewise write from a much more established place than where I was a few years back, so the change in perspective is apparent.
Unknown said…
I like that you created your blog when you were teaching English in a French school & now you're teaching French in an English school.
As you & others have said, it's crazy to think about what kind of teacher we were 10 years ago.
PS: I love your picture! THOSE CURLS!!!